Ship Type: Two masted Schooner
Lifespan: Built 1878 Sunk 1923
Length: Length 100 ft
Depths: 75 ft
Location: Amherst Island, Lake Ontario, Canada
GPS: N44º08’.860 W76º47.620
The two-masted schooner William Jamieson was built in 1878 at Mill Point, Ontario, by H.B. Rathbun & Son, and registered at Napanee that year, 100.0ft x 25.4ft x 8.6ft, 143.77 tons. On May 15, 1923, en route from Oswego, New York, USA, to Napanee, Ontario, Canada, with 350 tons of hard coal, the schooner sprang a leak near the Ducks, and began taking on water. Captain Patrick McManus attempted to run for Picton, Ontario, but the schooner was abandoned in the North Channel near Emerald, Amherst Island, Ontario, with no loss of life
The William Jamieson lies upright in 75ft (23m) of water in the North Channel, approximately 1/4-mile (0.3 km) due west of the north end of Barry Point, Amherst Island. The vessel is wooden-framed and planked, and survives from stem to stern post. The hull survives to the level of the cap rail throughout, and hull planking and deck planking are generally intact
The bow has collapsed and is broken up forward of the anchor windlass, therefore, the stem assembly and bowsprit are no longer intact. This collapse at the bow might have been a result of the impact of hull with the lake bed during the sinking. Most of the hatches and hatch coamings are intact, and the holds of the hull are exposed. A capstan, steam winch, centreboard winch, pump, and numerous deadeyes survive along both the port and starboard cap rails.
At the stern, the deck is in place, as are the wheel box and rudder crosshead, but the ship’s wheel and steering gear are missing. The cabin is not extant and much of the planking of the transom is missing. The rudder is still in place against the stern post
The William Jamieson was found by Lloyd Shales, Barbara Carson, Ron Hughes and John Birtwhistle on July 31, 1963.